Both TracFone and Straight Talk are known for their no-contract mobile phone service plans. Both services also offer inexpensive prepaid cell phone plans that come with benefits like a limited amount of talk time, text messages, and data. However, there are some major differences between the two companies that you should know about before making your final decision. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about these two popular low-cost cell phone service providers.
Is TracFone And Straight Talk The Same?
No, TracFone and Straight Talk are two different brands of cellular service. TracFone is a prepaid service and Straight Talk is a monthly plan service. Both brands offer no-contract cell phones that can be used with their service. The phones offered by each brand vary in price, features, and quality. Both TracFone and Straight Talk offer the latest smartphones and basic phones at affordable prices.
What Is TracFone?
- TracFone is a mobile phone service provider founded in 1983. The company is based in the United States, and its headquarters can be found in Mission Viejo, California. TracFone has over 1 million customers worldwide, and its network covers over 100 countries.
- TracFone offers prepaid cell phone plans to its customers, which means that you pay for your monthly service plan upfront with a prepaid MasterCard or Visa debit card. This feature allows you to avoid long-term contract obligations with the company while still having access to cheap mobile phone plans to meet your communication needs.
- TracFone’s rate plans are priced low because the company does not charge any activation fees or monthly fees for using its services. That being said, there are some specific charges associated with each plan that you need to be aware of before purchasing one of the company’s cell phone plans:
- TracFone charges a $2.50 monthly service fee for each phone that you want to use with their network.
- TracFone also charges $10 per month for each phone that you want to use on the company’s network, but this charge only applies if your phone is not unlocked.
- If you have an unactivated phone with TracFone and want to activate it, you will be charged a $15 activation fee for each phone. This fee is waived if your phone is already activated with another service provider and the SIM card from that previous provider can be used in the new device.
- If you want to change your current service plan, you will also be charged an activation fee of $15 per month if your old plan has a higher balance than the current plan or if there are any other changes made to your account balance before activating your new plan. The activation fees can also apply even
What Is Straight Talk?
- TracFone charges $10 per month for each phone you want to use on the company’s network, but this charge only applies if your phone is not unlocked.
- If you have an unactivated phone with TracFone and want to activate it, you will be charged a $15 activation fee for each phone. This fee is waived if your phone is already activated with another service provider and the SIM card from that previous provider can be used in the phone you want to activate.
- TracFone does not offer international service plans, but it does provide a virtual prepaid calling card for those who are interested in making international calls at a lower rate than their normal plan will allow them to do so. The cost of this card is $2 per month, which can be used with any mobile device that supports the GSM standard (like a smartphone). ed with TracFone.
- If you use a TracFone phone at an international location that is not covered by the company’s roaming service and you run out of your monthly minutes or data, you will be charged an additional $2 per minute to make local calls or $10 per GB of data to use with your phone.
- Straight Talk was founded in 2008 and is based in Plano, Texas. The company has around 2 million customers globally and its network covers over 60 countries.
Major Differences Between TracFone And Straight Talk
One of the most important factors to consider is network coverage. Both TracFone and Straight Talk operate on the networks of major carriers, but who the primary network operator is may differ depending on which company you choose. TracFone currently uses the networks of T-Mobile and Verizon to provide coverage in both the United States and Mexico. Straight Talk uses the AT&T network for service in the U.S. and the network of TeleMex in Mexico. TracFone’s network is much more extensive than Straight Talk’s network in the United States. Straight Talk’s network primarily covers the eastern half of the country. At the same time, TracFone has more widespread coverage that reaches all parts of the U.S. Straight Talk’s network reach in Mexico is also much more limited than TracFone’s.
TracFone offers a wide variety of plan options, including plan bundles that let you pay for additional features like international calling or data rollover. Straight Talk only offers one plan option. TracFone also lets you add additional lines to your account, while Straight Talk only allows one line per account. –
TracFone offers a wide range of cell phones for use on its service, including smartphones, flip phones, and even basic models for kids. You can also use most unlocked GSM phones with TracFone’s service. Straight Talk only offers a limited selection of cell phones. – Additional Perks:
keep in mind that TracFone offers a few perks that Straight Talk does not, including a free cell phone rental when you buy a phone with a TracFone service plan.
Which Company Is Better?
- Straight Talk is an American mobile phone service provider that was founded in 2002. Its headquarters can be found in Richardson, Texas. Straight Talk has around 1 million customers worldwide and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of TracFone Wireless Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: TFH).
- Straight Talk offers prepaid cell phone plans to their customers, which means that you pay for your monthly service plan upfront with a prepaid MasterCard or Visa debit card. This feature allows you to avoid long-term contract obligations with the company while still having access to cheap mobile phone plans to meet your communication needs.
- Straight Talk’s rate plans are priced low because the company does not charge any activation fees or monthly fees for using its services The following plan types are available:
- Straight Talk charges $15/month for each phone that you want to use with its network, but this charge only applies if your phone is not unlocked or if you want to use it on a different network than the one where it was originally purchased from Sprint or Verizon Wireless (Verizon Wireless branches can activate AT&T phones and Sprint phones on their respective networked with your TracFone phone.
- To avoid having to pay any activation or monthly service fees, you can go to a TracFone store and request an unlock code for your existing phone to activate it on the company’s network. Unlocking your phone will prevent you from being charged any fees in the future.
- If you want to cancel your service plan with TracFone, you will be charged an early termination fee of $15 per month if you choose to do so before the end of the third month. Fortunately, there is also a “No-Contract Plan” option where only $10 will be deducted from your account each month if you decided to cancel your service before three months have passed since signing up for their plan.
- Another major difference between TracFone and Straight Talk is that TracFone does not allow customers with low credit scores when signing up for their services, which means that they will not approve customers who have credit inquiries that would result in them lowering their credit score even further. This policy provides some protection for people who may be preparing for an important purchase like buying a home or car but with a new phone.
- TracFone also charges $15 for each phone you want to activate with their network, but this charge only applies if your phone is not unlocked. sed with TracFone.
- There are no other fees associated with using TracFone’s mobile service plans, but if you choose to pay for more than $100 in prepaid service, you will be charged a $1 usage fee every month.
- While prepaid cell phone plans are great for avoiding contract obligations and keeping your monthly bill low, they also limit your choice when it comes to choosing a compatible phone. TracFone doesn’t offer many smartphones or 4G LTE data-compatible phones on its network. While the company does have a wide range of phones (including affordable Android models), customers looking for smartphones often have to turn to other providers because TracFone does not offer any 4G LTE phones on its network at this time.
Final Words: Which Is Better?
Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide which prepaid cell phone provider is best for your needs. While most of the differences between TracFone and Straight Talk are relatively minor, it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each provider before making your final decision. TracFone’s wide network coverage and additional plan features may make it the better choice for many people. However, if you’re mainly interested in a low-cost cell phone plan and a limited selection of cell phones, Straight Talk may be the better choice.