The Apple Watch is a great smartwatch, but it’s not perfect. In particular, many users have complained about the watch’s tepidity when it comes to water resistance. After all, during its initial announcement and in the lead-up to its release, Apple marketed the Watch as “splash resistant,” meaning that it could handle getting wet or sweaty and not break down as a result. However, some consumers who purchased an Apple Watch soon discovered that it wasn’t quite as waterproof as they would have liked. As such, this article explores how waterproof the Apple Watch really is, how you can test your watch’s water resistance for yourself, and what to do if you discover that yours isn’t as watertight as you might have hoped.
Is The Apple Watch 6 Waterproof?
In short, no. Apple has never marketed the Apple Watch as waterproof, but instead as splash-resistant. It’s a subtle but important difference. Waterproof watches can be submerged in water and will continue to function normally even when fully submerged. Splash-resistant watches, on the other hand, are designed to protect against water splashes and moisture, but not against full submersion. Apple does not provide any information regarding water and dust resistance on the apple watch 6. However, water and dust resistance on the Apple Watch Series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 ( 38mm and 42mm ) is up to 50 meters according to the manufacturer.
How Can I Test The Water Resistance of My Watch?
Checking Watch Water Resistance at Home
When you are at home, you can try a few things to see if your watch has the right amount of water resistance. First, put your watch under warm water and see if it leaks. If your watch does not leak, then there is a high chance that it is water resistant. However, it is important to remember that warm water is not the same as hot water. If your watch does not leak under warm water, try putting it under a running faucet for a few minutes. If your watch does not leak after a few minutes, there is a high chance that it is water resistant.
Checking Watch Water Resistance in the Shower
If you want to check whether your watch is water resistant in the shower, first make sure that it is not a diver’s watch. If it is a diver’s watch, it is important to avoid showering with it on. If it is not a diver’s watch, put the watch under warm water and wear it for a few minutes. If the watch does not leak, there is a high chance that it is water resistant.
Checking Watch Water Resistance with a Meter
If you want to use a professional instrument to check your watch’s water resistance, visit an authorized service center or an authorized watch repair shop. They will be able to check the water resistance of your watch using a water resistance meter. You can also check your watch’s water resistance online using an online water resistance meter. You can simply enter the model number of your watch to see its water resistance.
Checking Watch Water Resistance by Smelling
If you want to check whether your watch is water resistant without taking it off, try smelling it. If the watch has a fishy smell, there is a high chance that it does not have any water resistance. If it has no smell, there is a high chance that it is water resistant.
Checking Watch Water Resistance by Touching
If you want to check whether your watch is water resistant by touching it, take the watch off and put a few drops of water on the dial. If the water does not make a mark, there is a high chance that your watch is water resistant. If the water leaves a mark, there is a high chance that your watch is not water resistant.
What To Do If You Discover Your Watch Isn’t Waterproof?
- If you discover that your Apple Watch isn’t as waterproof as you had hoped, you have a couple of options: you can return the watch and replace it with a model that is more water resistant, or you can visit an Apple store and ask them to repair the watch for you.
- If you decide to replace your watch, you can do so by visiting the Apple website and selecting “Apple Watch” in the menu. After that, choose “Explore Apple Watch” and select the model and edition that you have. From there, select “Customize” and choose the option that you’re most interested in.
- After you’ve made your choice, you can choose to purchase the Apple Watch and other accessories with a credit card, debit card, or via Apple Pay. If you decide to have your watch repaired, you’ll need to visit an Apple store and ask a member of staff to look at your watch for you. Unfortunately, there’s no way to arrange for a repair online, so you’ll need to make an appointment to visit a store in person.
How To Protect Your Watch While Swimming
If you like to swim, but your watch isn’t waterproof, there are a few things you can do to protect it.
If you have an analog watch: Before jumping into the water, put a plastic bag over your wrist. Then, put on the watch inside the bag and tighten the strap around your wrist. When you’re done swimming, remove the watch from the bag and shake the water off.
If you have a digital watch: Put the watch in a sealable plastic bag with a little bit of water inside. When you’re done swimming, shake the water off the watch.
If you have a smartwatch: Put your smartwatch in a sealable plastic bag before jumping into the water. After you’re done swimming, dry off your watch.
Tips For Making Your Watch More Waterproof
- You can make your Apple Watch more watertight by adding an extra layer of protection. There are a number of third-party add-ons that can make your Watch more watertight, including sports bands, silicone bands, and stainless steel bands.
- You can also buy watertight covers for your Watch. While these won’t make your Watch any more watertight than it already is, they do provide extra protection from moisture.
- Another option is to buy a charging dock that is watertight. This way, you can charge your Watch without having to worry about damaging it. Likewise, you can also buy a special wall mount that is watertight.
- The great thing about these accessories is that they are cheap, easy to find, and easy to use. You can also buy moisture-proof earbuds. While you can use normal earbuds with your Watch, you do run the risk of damaging them if they get wet.
- Moisture-proof earbuds make it easy to enjoy music while in the shower or pool. Last but not least, you can also buy a waterproof case. While it’s not necessary to buy a waterproof case, it can make your Watch more watertight, which is great if you find that your Watch tends to flood when you swim.
The Apple Watch is a great smartwatch, but it isn’t completely waterproof. This means that it shouldn’t be used in water-related situations and that it shouldn’t be worn while swimming. It’s also important to note that manufacturers don’t have to follow any specific guidelines when it comes to the water resistance of their products, so there is no guarantee that a “splash-resistant” smartwatch will protect against moisture. The best way to determine the water resistance of your Apple Watch is to test it for yourself by submerging it in water. If your Apple Watch stops working, you can replace it with a model that is more water resistant, or you can visit an Apple store and ask a member of staff to repair it for you.